Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yes, They Think We're THAT Stupid

Since I don't have kids I don't get embarrassed by all of the erectile dysfunction and birth control pill commercials on tv all the time (by the way, birth control pills are actually for not getting pregnant, and NOT for clearing up acne, you Yaz yahoos) but I'm still sickened by them anyway. I really don't see the need to watch some guy talk to his reflection about the fact that he can't get it up anymore and that he should talk to his doctor. Um, DUH, thanks for that tip, like we would have mistakenly broached the subject with our CPA if it wasn't for that commercial.

Anyhoo, the other night hubby and I were watching tv, and we admit to a certain morbid fascination with the adverse effects statements at the end of these commercials. Why on earth someone with rosacea (discoloration of the skin) would rather crap themselves without warning and have urinary tract infections than a face rash is beyond me, but hey, whatever.

We've noticed quite a trend in the use of cartoons and cartoon characters in the ads instead of real life (fake) people (actors) who suffer (actually don't suffer) from the maladies they hawk pills for, and my guess is that people will believe a cartoon over some person telling them that herpes doesn't cramp their sex life.

I don't mind cartoons or clay-mation characters telling me about an annoying disease, but is there really any need for this:
This is a screen capture of a drug commercial who felt the need to let us know that this "orthopedic surgeon" cartoon wasn't a real doctor. REALLY? I was kinda hoping to go see cartoon orthopedic surgeon and have him work on my knee. I really believed that cartoon guy on the tube was an honest to god orthopedic surgeon. I'm so glad that the commercial let me know that he wasn't a REAL orthopedic surgeon, because I was totally fooled, as I'm sure millions of other viewers were as well.

While I'm at it, enough of the stupid parents being lectured by their children commercials. These mostly take the form of kids lecturing their parents over global warming, recycling, and generally everything else that they're brainwashed to pass on to their parents who actually have fully evolved brains and can think and research for themselves and typically see through the ruse of politically motivated ways to steal their money for reasons such as "for the children" and "saving the earth".

There was a recent debate about how commercials are totally into men-bashing (which I agree with) where the opposing side argued that its "all in good fun" and that its funny to see a woman push a man out of a car... but I'm sure women's groups (who suck and I hate them) would be all aflutter if the commercial showed a guy pushing a woman out of a car. Look at the Tim Tebow commercial that garnered such hatred and outrage from pro-abortion groups before the commercial was EVEN SHOWN, and turned out to be a cute commercial showing a mother that was proud of her son... who tackled her roughly. Since there were no reference to anti-abortion, the women's groups (who are morons and I hate them) released a statement stating the commercial glorified violence against women. Um... apparently they were fine with the Go Daddy commercials and commercials knocking Betty White off her ass, or fighting over Doritos... yeah... idiots.

So, this is a lesson to everyone... go buy a Tivo and fast forward through all of the commercials. The makers all think we're stupid anyway.

1 comment:

Huffle Mawson said...

Our version is called the IQ, and we fast forward through all the commercials too. I'm with you.