Friday, November 07, 2008

This is change?

I posted a few links on Facebook that has some people jumping all over me. Yes, I am questioning this “Change” we are suppose to undergo under our new President-Elect Obama.

Being the Commander-in-Chief, I respect the man for the position he holds, and will obey all lawful orders like the good soldier I was in the Air Force (ok, stop snickering... blue suited coffee drinker is better, I suppose?)

I said that I would give him a chance to prove himself to me, just like he said in his election night speech, and I am, but I’m just a bit confused about a few things.

For the past two years, we’ve heard nothing but change, change, change. Look to the future, don’t look in the past. We can’t have John McCain because for 26 years he did nothing. We can’t have George Bush because for 8 years he did nothing. We needed Mr. Obama and he would bring change to the government, and he would turn everything around and it would be change that we could believe in.

So what does he do?

He names Washington Insider Rahm Emanuel as his Chief of Staff and Washington Insider Henry Rivera to head a transition team focused on the FCC.

Emanuel spent some time as a Board Member on Freddie Mac, during the time it was in the process of taking a huge dump on the American Taxpayers. Rivera is a proponent of the “Fairness Doctrine”.

Proponents of President-elect Obama say that a person’s association should not be held against them, and can cite a myriad of other examples where a Conservative Washington Insider botched a job and yet got hired on to another lucrative job inside the beltway. I think this is where I point out that two wrongs don’t make a right, now does it. If the hiring of inept morons into higher positions of authority is bad for conservatives, it should be considered bad for liberals. I will also go out on a limb and say that for our next President to win on a platform of “change” and then to just apparently go out and do the very same things that he admonished his competitors about... that’s a bit hypocritical, don’t you think?

Change would have been our President-Elect reaching out to the MYRIAD of successful entrepreneurs and business people and hiring them, not washington insiders, to come in and clean up the government. Hiring people from Youtube to oversee the FCC, for instance. Someone from E-bay to deal with this financial fiasco, google would be a land mind of opportunity to find someone as chief of staff, the possibilities are endless for talent, and success in the public sector. Even if he had reached out and found unproven, unknown, but talented and motivated people, that would have been change.

No, apparently we’re digging up the old-time politicians and washington insiders, the same people who have buried themselves like a leech feasting on the big toe of the U.S.

Just one last point before I end this post. I can understand the Chief of Staff, and after our President-Elect’s speech today about moving fast to help this poor economy... what does the FCC have to do with that? What’s the rush on that transition. Makes me wonder.

2 comments:

Tracey and Huffle said...

Forgive my ignorance. What is the FCC?

nl1990 said...

don't forget, not only is emanuel a washington insider, he's a chicago insider as well. maybe the "change" is chicago machine politics coming to washington :)

nancy