Monday, May 12, 2008

Stop the Hand Basket to Hell, I want off

Its madness, madness I tell you!

I’m already sick of the non-stop Myamar (it used to be Burma... yeah, like school kids who don’t even know where Idaho is will smack themselves on the head and go “OH BURMA”) ranting about how their OWN GOVERNMENT won’t help the gazillions of suffering people, so we need to go in there and save them. Um, we haven’t helped those affected by Katrina, we’ve got whole cities devastated by tornados, wild fires, and now flooding (and yes, that whole flooding thing affected me, as the road I drive to work was totally under water so I had to detour) and Time magazine is suggesting we just go in and take over Myamar (formerly Burma) to help those people (I’m too lazy to find the link, just google that one yourselves).

Ok, let me get this straight... we went into Somalia to feed the starving people and got our asses kicked and people are still starving there. We sent a butt load of money and supplies to that place that got plastered by the Tsunami (and like most people, a week after it happened I forgot exactly WHERE that occurred), and they’re still without homes, and OOOH look a horrible 7.8 earthquake just hit China, now we need to go there and help out. Oh, this just in, according to Fox it was actually a 7.9 earthquake, much worse than originally reported. Does .1 more make it doubly worse as they seem to infer? BUT, going into Iraq, where the people were being tortured and the Kurds were being annihilated by toxic weapons wasn’t ok when we didn’t find weapons of mass destruction?

It seems that the U.S. is really big on this whole “let’s save the world when natural disasters strike” by swooping in, plopping down all kinds of food, water, and medical supplies, then swooping out. We don’t bother to hang out and help them rebuild their infrastructures, or even one freakin house. Its like we’re just giving them enough to live, and then leaving them there in the squalor to think “Holy shit, I’d rather be dead than live among the debris, rats, and smell of dead relatives.”

Call me crazy, but I really do think that we need to help out own people in our own nation before we send one stinking dime to another country. Where, on my tax form, is the little checkbox that says “I want my tax dollars to go toward rebuilding and helping out those in our own country first”? Better yes, how about they go with a flat tax and that way I might have some money left over after I pay for gas to get to work to donate to the causes that I feel are worthy?

Oh, by the way, in case you were wondering why I think the world is going to Hell in a hand basket... I saw a commercial today for health insurance... Billy (Oxyclean, Samurai Shark Sharpner) Mays, is hawking health insurance. And if you act now... on top of your medical benefits, we’ll throw in this Putty and all you have to do is pay for shipping!

2 comments:

Tracey and Huffle said...

You know, looking at the big old U S of A from afar, I do wonder about these things. If your government couldn't get it right in your own backyard after Hurricane Katrina, why should they be bothering with Myanmar (which, by the way, keeps getting referred to at Burma here in Australia)? Mind you, we're not much better.

By the way, I hope you, hubby and the pups are safe from the flooding.

Trace

The Brat Pack said...

ITA. It drive me nuts to look at how shitty we handled our own disasters while we're helping everyone else in the world.

Hope you guys are ok from the flooding. I want OUT of tornado alley.